Tuesday, 9 August 2011
Misery in world's largest refugee camps see here
A drought, not seen in 60 years, compounded with near complete lawlessness and utter disregard for human life has made it so.It is hard to imagine, but dust and starvation are nearly everywhere you look, and the world's largest refugee camp is thick with misery on this night. The smell is a combination of the acrid sweetness associated with nourishment, anxious sweat and diesel fuel.The fuel is used to keep away the swarming flies. It stinks more than it repels.The children here are small, too small for their age. I met 5-year-old Jan-aw and saw him weigh in at 20 pounds. His brother is 4 and weighs closer to 15. And there is a youngest brother, Muhammad, just 3 months and light as a feather.There is something else about these boys as well. I have seen children all over the world suffering through wars and nature's retaliations, and yet I can always elicit a smile. Play a game, snap a picture, shake a hand and the smile will come. Not here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment